AUDIENCE: Administrators, Marketing Users
Creating a template saves you the effort of recreating a complex layout every time you need to use it. Remember that the template is just a convenient starting point; you can easily add, change, or remove elements in a message that uses it.
For greatest efficiency, create a template for each message type you expect to send often. Start each message from the template, and simply type or paste the new content into the existing structure, adding or deleting elements as needed.
If you are importing an externally-designed layout, see the articles Create Stationeries and Differences Between the Rich Text Block and Custom Content Block when Using Custom HTML or CSS.
Create an Email With a (Sample) Newsletter Layout
- Click Content, and choose Email Templates.
- Click Actions > New Template.
- Choose Start With a Blank Template.
- Click the Design tab.
- Delete the Greeting block and Signature block. To do this, hover over the respective blocks and click the Delete icon.
- Hover over the Rich Text block and click the Pencil icon.
- Click the Insert Layout Structure tool.
- In the Overall Layout section, choose the third layout, A page with a heading and a footer and a left column in the content area, to define the framework of your message.
- Click in the sidebar (the left column), and note the insertion point there.
- Click the Table Cell Properties icon.
- Click the Advanced tab, click the Color Tool next to the Background Color field (or paste the public URL of an image in your Act-On account library in the Background image field). Choose your color and click Apply.
- When you're finished modifying the sidebar's table cell properties, click Update.
- Back in the Rich Text editor, type an interesting sidebar, such as 'What our customers are saying' with a few quotes.
- Use Table Cell Properties and the other editing tools to format the sidebar as you like
- In the header, replace the default text with your newsletter's title.
- Change the fonts and other formatting as needed
- Click in the main content area, and note the insertion point there.
- Click the Insert Layout Structure icon again.
- In the Region Layout section choose the first layout, Stack of 2 Articles with Headings.
- Replace the text in Topic #1 and Topic #2 with the titles of your two newsletter stories.
- Place the insertion point in the content area for the first story, and click the Insert Layout Structure icon again.
- In the Region Layout section, choose the last layout: Box with Right Column Strip.
- Place the insertion point in the right column of the layout you just inserted, and click the Insert Image from Act-On Media Library icon to insert an image.
- Repeat the process for the second article, choosing the next-to-last layout, Box with Left Column Strip.
- Modify the copyright statement below your articles as needed.
- Click Close.
Opt-out Link and Other CAN-SPAM Information
You'll notice that the default footer already includes a copyright statement, along with the opt-out link and other CAN-SPAM information.
- Hover your mouse cursor over the Rich Text Block and click the Pencil icon.
- In the Rich Text Block, place the insertion point anywhere in the copyright statement.
- Click the Delete Row icon (near the left end of the third row of tools).
- Click Close.
- Name the template 'Monthly Newsletter Template', and make any other changes needed.
- Click Save.