With the addition of Dynamic Sections, you can now implement progressive profiling in the new Forms Composer. Fields within this section type are presented to form visitors gradually over time based on the number of empty fields you elect to show on each visit and what is already known about that visitor. Dynamic section fields that have been filled, either from the underlying list or by the visitor themselves, are not shown on subsequent visits- but instead replaced with new questions.
To use Dynamic Sections for progressive profiling in your forms, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the Forms listing in the Content section of the left navigation
- Click the blue + button
- Select between the options to create a New Form from scratch, start from a Template Form or convert a Classic Form
- Add your desired form Properties in the first tab and then navigate to the Design tab
- In the left navigation menu under ‘Section’ you will see that a new type, ‘Dynamic Section’, has been added
Form blocks placed inside of Dynamic Sections are used for progressive profiling, while blocks placed outside of these sections will be shown on each visit.
- Drag and drop a ‘New Section’ or ‘Saved Section’ into your form
- Add at least one visible input field (could include the ‘Text Box’, ‘Paragraph’, ‘Combo Box’ or ‘Date- but not the ‘Hidden Field’) to the section
- This ensures that your audience won’t be shown a form without any fields once they’ve completed the questions in your dynamic sections
- Drag and drop a ‘Dynamic Section’ into your form
- In the ‘Edit Dynamic Section Settings’ slideout, which appears automatically when a Dynamic Section is added, select the number of empty fields you want shown in that section on each visit and click ‘Ok’
- If you do not specify the number of empty fields, then one will be shown by default
This setting is specific to each Dynamic Section. If multiple Dynamic Sections are present then multiple sets of dynamic fields will be shown simultaneously.
- Add form fields to your Dynamic Section in the order you’d like them to appear
- Only visible input field blocks can be added to Dynamic Sections (including the ‘Text Box’, ‘Paragraph’, ‘Combo Box’ or ‘Date- but not the ‘Hidden Field’)
- Multiple columns cannot be used in a Dynamic Section, so these fields will be shown in a single column
Since dynamic fields are contained within their own section, you don’t have to worry about your standard form fields shifting around when the dynamic fields do- they’ll stay put!
- Once you’ve finished creating your form, navigate to the Review tab to see how your form will behave when filled out
- Click on the section you want to test in the left navigation menu and check the boxes corresponding to the fields shown on the form
- When you’ve completed the specified number of Empty Fields for that section (e.g. 2 fields out of 5 total) you’ll see the fields that would be shown on the next visit
If your visitor does not fill out a dynamic field on one visit, that field will continue to be shown on subsequent visits until they’ve completed it.