This is especially useful for users without a CRM. By using the FTP method, you are able to import lists, export lists, and schedule the synchronization between your Act-On lists and the lists you upload to the FTP site.
Connecting to the Act-On FTP site
Follow the steps below to begin using the FTP feature:
- Contact Act-On Support to enable the FTP feature if it is not yet enabled for your account.
- Once enabled, click Settings, and choose Connectors.
- Click Data Sources, and click FTP. Click the Connect button.
- Your FTP Username is determined by your account details and cannot be changed.
- Follow the steps outlined in the Settings > Connectors > Data Sources > FTP page to initiate the connection.
Transfer your list files with added authentication security
Within the FTP connector settings, you can now add PGP encryption when transferring your marketing lists. With PGP enabled, a private key will be used for all marketing lists for that account. If a marketing list fails decryption, either by virtue of being unencrypted or encrypted by a non-matching public key, an error message will be displayed to inform the recipient.
Keep in mind:
- If you enable PGP for FTP the expectation is that every file you upload to Act-on will be encrypted not just Marketing lists.
- If you enable encryption and try to open a file that is not encrypted it will not work. This is all or nothing.
- If PGP encryption is enabled, the connector will attempt to apply the decryption key to all previously uploaded files as well. Be sure to replace any existing (unencrypted) files with encrypted ones
Importing lists to Act-On
Once the FTP connection is established, you can upload your lists into the FTP server directly.
- Click Contacts, and then click Marketing Lists.
- Click New List.
- Enter a list name and select the appropriate folder.
- Click Select Method in the Set Up New List Contents section.
- Choose Import from your recently uploaded FTP files.
- Accept the terms of the agreement.
- Select one of your recently uploaded FTP files, and click Next.
- Click Next.
- Specify the fields you want to use in Act-On, and click Finish.
Syncing the lists
After importing the list, you can synchronize the list between the FTP site and Act-On by following the steps below:
- To the right of the recently imported list, Click the Green Down Arrow.
- Click Import/Export and then Click Manage FTP Sync.
- Enter a Name.
- Select Import, and select a File.
- Select Export, and select a File.
- Click Schedule to specify how often the sync will occur.
- Click Save.