The top row allows you to choose where and how your data will be submitted. By default, submitted data will be collected to a new list. The list will be placed under Contacts > Other Lists > Form Submissions.
In some instances you may choose to have a form submit to an existing list.
- Select Existing List from Step 3 of the form editor
- Click the link that says Click to Select.
- A drop-down menu will appear allowing you to select any list that exists in your account within Act-On. Submissions to an existing list can be desirable when you have multiple forms submitting to a common list.
There are some instances where every entry to a list should be recorded using the Always Append option. The default setting will overwrite information on any known individuals that submit your forms, but enabling the Always Append box will create a line-item for each submission. Prior to enabling this feature, please check with your Customer Success Manager or Act-On Support to discuss the implications for your particular scenario.
The next step toward completing your form and all its settings is to map your form fields to your list columns. Mapping list columns allows you to tell Act-On which data fields on your form belong in which columns on your list. In this area you will be presented with a set of columns that may differ depending on whether you are creating a new list or an existing list.
Options when creating a new list
- Form Label – when editing form block,s you are prompted to create a label for each field. The label is visible to the user in the form and is displayed here for your convenience.
- Form Field Name – when editing form blocks, you are prompted to create a form field name for each field. The field name is displayed here for mapping purposes. The form field names are used to create the column names on the new signup list.
- Create List Column – the default setting is to create a column for each of your form fields using the form field name that you defined. If you would like certain information you're collecting (e.g., personal ID numbers) to not be stored by Act-On, uncheck the box and Act-On will ignore the information in that field.
- Identify Field As – Act-On can use collected information for personalization in communications (e.g., for landing pages that are used as a response page after a form is submitted). To ensure accurate personalization, Act-On allows you to define the type of personalization information you are collecting. Common fields include Email Address, First Name, Last Name, Company, Job Title, Business Phone, etc.
When choosing to add form submissions to an existing list, options include:
- Form Label – when editing form blocks, you are prompted to create a label for each field. The label is visible to the user in the form and is displayed here for your convenience.
- Form Field Name – when editing form blocks you are prompted to create a form field name for each field. The field name is displayed here for mapping purposes. The form field names are used to create the column names on the signup list.
- List Column Name – shows the name of the column that your form field will be submitting to. Act-On will attempt to match any form field names with existing column names in the list you have chosen. In some cases, a match cannot be made either because a column does not exist or Act-On was unable to match names that are too dissimilar. In this case, a new column will be made to accommodate information submitted to this field. Clicking the Change link to the right of a List Column Name will allow you to locate an existing column to submit data to. If a match could not be made, rename the column, or choose to ignore information submitted to this form field.
Once you've finished matching your columns to an existing list or creating new columns to accommodate your new fields, click Save in the upper right corner to save your form.