- Make sure to a/b test your birthday messages. Compare things like birthday discounts, free gifts, credit, etc.
- Use personalization in your subject line.
- Send reminder emails that offers are about to expire.
To create your birthday segment
- Upload your list (make sure the list contains the contacts birthday).
- Validate that the Date field is formatted per Act-On's segmentation formatting:
- Define your segment criteria where your field name for the date equals date X year with the corresponding format:
- 0 day = Today’s date (2016)
- 12 months = 2015
- 24 months = 2014
- 36 months = 2013
Add these conditions for any possible year that they would like to capture within the segment. Once this segment is created, you can now create your Automated Program.
Note: If someone wants to send an email 30 days prior to a birthday or anniversary, you will want to use MONTHS instead of years. Example: equals date will be 11 months instead of 1 Year so then the segment will update 30 days before the actual date.
Check your program
- The source list should be your birthday/anniversary segment you created.
- You should schedule the source list to run once per day, no less.
- Make sure to check the Re-Entry option so the following year the contact will enter the program. This is a controlled feature so you must enable the re-entry option for the automated program first.
- You will not be able to use the segment as an Exit Condition as the contacts will be exiting the program after the date of their birthday/anniversary so they will no longer be in the segment.