When prospects visit your website and click on a gated content URL, they will be asked to fill out and submit a registration form before they can access the underlying content. They get cookied in the process, and will not need to register again if they click on the gated content URL in the future.
Some PDF content you can gate:
- White papers
- Case studies
- Research documents
Identify the premium content that you would like to gate, and make sure it is uploaded to your media library.
Create the Form
Create a new form to capture your prospects information. Out of the box, creating a new Act-On form will give you the recommended basic fields.
Publish the gated content URL
After your form has been created we will need to associate it with your gated PDF.
- Click on Content > Media Files.
- Hover over your document or media link and click the Down Arrow > Gated Content URL.
- Click Add and specify the form you would like to be associated with this content
- Click Create
- A unique URL is generated which is to be used if you wish to have the content gated. Copy the unique URL that was generated to your clipboard.
Create Progressive Forms
Create a series of forms to use with progressive profiling. The number of forms you create will be determined by how much information you need to collect from projects.
Since we already created the first form that captures the prospects name and email address, serve the prospect new forms on subsequent visits with one or two questions at a time.
- On the first return visit, the form may display the name and email address already filled in, showing the website recognizes the person, which usually feels friendly.
- The second form might ask one or two questions about the person’s company, or intent.
- The second return visit may ask one or two follow-up questions depending upon how the prospect answered the previous question(s).
Set up Progressive Profiling Rules
- Within the Act-On dashboard, click Content > Progressive Profiling > New.
- Give your progressive profile series a name and choose the list that prospects will end up in.
- Create your progressive profile rules.
Get Gated Content URLs
- Click Content > Media Files.
- Hover over your document or media link and click the drop down arrow > Gated Content URL.
- Click Add.
- In the drop-down list, you will see any existing progressive profiling rules display at the top.
- Choose the desired set of progressive profile rules, and click Create. The URL will appear in the Gated Content URL window.
- Repeat this step for each media asset you want to tie to progressive profiling rules.
Measure the Impact
- Click on Content > Forms.
- Locate the specific form that you would like to see reporting for and click the down-arrow > View Form Report.