Types of Data
Content you have created or uploaded in Act-On (Landing Pages, Media, Images, Forms, Message Templates, etc.) can be downloaded from the relevant location in the platform where that content is managed. There is not currently an option to mass export content.
Lists you have uploaded, synced, or created in Act-On can be downloaded manually from the platform – navigate to that list and choose a download option under Import/Export. To download lists in bulk, you can use Data Studio to create an Export based on either a single list/segment or a search across several.
This is Act-On's record of tracked contact interactions (message opens, clicks, webpage visits, form submissions, etc.).
You can download behavior for a single contact within the platform or via the API, but exports at a larger scale require the Data Studio feature. See below for a detailed guide.
Behavior Data Exports
To meet your compliance and BI needs, Act-On recommends that you:
- Define the data to be exported
- Export the needed historical data
- Set the exports on a schedule to export new data going forward
Set up an external destination and export the data directly to your desired storage location, as the files can be quite large.
Set up Exports
- Determine which types of behavior data you want to utilize, between Email Messages, Forms, Landing Pages, Media, Webinars, and Webpages
- Create an Export for each desired content type, making sure to:
- Check all relevant actions you want to track
- Select Detailed log data in the Grouping tab
Exception: For Webpage data, consider leaving out anonymous traffic, since it is a high volume of data but does tie to a specific contact
- Choose fields in the Fields tab to suit your data needs
- Name the output file appropriately for how you will organize the data
Generate Historical Data
Data Studio has limitations on how much data can be exported at once:
- Tokens and Exports – if you are planning a one-time historical export in excess of your contracted Data Studio usage, contact your Account Manager
- Time frame – The longest time window Data Studio can generate a report for (with no filters applied) is one year
- Rows of data – Each Export is limited to 5,000,000 rows, so data sets larger than this must be split into multiple Exports with shorter durations
To pull historical behavior data:
- Open the Export for Email data that you created above
- Generate this Export for the current year from January 1 to today's date
- If you see an error that the 5,000,000 row limit has been exceeded, select a smaller time window and try again (repeat if necessary)
- Continue to generate this Export for previous years until you have data for the desired time period
- Proceed to the next data type and repeat Step 1 for each
This will result in data for all content types with multiple files covering your chosen time frame.
Schedule Ongoing Exports
- Make sure you have a Destination set up in Data Studio (cloud storage or FTP) to host your exported files
- Edit each Export created above to run on a schedule (eg., daily or weekly)
- When each scheduled Export runs, it will generate all behavior data for that data type recorded since the last run of the Export
If you need more tokens and exports to support your ongoing data exports, contact your Account Manager.