Instructor-Led Training Course Available!
In this course, we’ll show you how to set up bottom-of-funnel programs that identify leads ready to go to sales, and track marketing contribution over time.
Get Started with Creating a Triggered Email
Let’s get started with creating triggered emails to help close deals! You can help generate further interest and education at the bottom of the marketing funnel.
Define “bottom of funnel”
Developing a buying process is an important part of understanding your prospects and provides a framework for delivery of the right content & message, at the right time. Successful delivery of content targeted to prospects at the bottom of your funnel will help move them out of the funnel and get them ready for Sales Qualification.
In this step you will need to define what your bottom of funnel will be, along with a lead score range we will be using in a few steps.
Create your “bottom of funnel” segment
- Go to Contacts > Marketing Lists > Create a Segment
- Define a query segment for each funnel stage
- Add a profile attribute based on the "Lead Score" field you just created
Create your program
1. Creating a Program
To create a new Automated Program:
- Click Automation > Automated Programs > New
2. Complete the General Settings tab
- Enter a Name and an optional description for your program.
- Click Add next to Program Source List to select any list or segment that you would like to associate with this program. You can repeat this step to associate multiple lists and/or segments with the program.
- Once the program is running, your source lists will be checked periodically to look for new contacts to enter into the program and will update the contacts Activity History - you can also modify your scoring rules and create segments accordingly.
3. Complete the Program Messages tab
To add a program message:
- Click Add Program Message.
- Choose any existing template, draft, scheduled, or sent message as a starting point for your new message.
- Once the message has been added to the program, hover over it and click Edit to make any changes to the content.
4. Complete the Lists & Segments tab
To add a list or segment:
- Click the Add List/Segment button and select the desired list or segment.
- Repeat the process as many times as needed.
5. Complete the Program Flow tab
The Program Flow tab lets you build out your program workflow.
- Drag the step from the menu on the right side of the page and drop it into the desired location in your program flow.
- Hover over the step and click Edit to give the step a name, and specify its rules and actions.
Don’t Forget to Follow Up!
1. Create your follow up email template
- Click Content > Email Templates.
- Click Actions > New Template, then choose a starting point.
- From the General tab:
- Add a Message Title.
- Add a Subject Line.
- Select a Sender and Reply To address.
- From the Design tab:
- Select Stationery, add content, and adjust the message styling.
- From the Review tab:
- Preview your message as HTML, Text, and Mobile.
- Validate your message and check your personalization.
- Click Save.
2. Edit your “bottom of funnel” program
Automated programs can be edited at any time; however, the automated programs need to be stopped prior to making any adjustments. Once the program is stopped, you can add or remove the source lists assigned to it, change the schedule for entering new contacts, or add, remove, or modify any of your program steps.
3. Add a conditional branch with the follow-up email
From the Program Flow tab:
- Drag the Branch step into your program.
- Hover over the step and click Edit.
- Add a step name and choose the option for If Prospect Was Sent, But Did Not Open Or Click On Message.
- Select your follow-up email and click Submit.
Measuring the Success of Your Bottom of Funnel Programs
1. Set up your scoring rules
- Click Contacts > Scoring Rules.
- Add values for each profile and/or activity.
- Update the Pick Time Period.
- Click the Update Scoring Rules button.
2. Define the stages of the funnel
The stage definitions are starting points for typical kinds of stages. Complete the criteria that represent converting someone into this stage. Edit the stage name by selecting the stage on the left and clicking the Pencil icon. By clicking Add a new stage you are able to add up to seven stages in the funnel.
3. Create a basic lead score funnel
Starting with a Basic Lead Score Funnel gives you another great introduction to working with funnels. To setup a Basic Lead Score funnel:
- Enter a Funnel Name and Description.
- Complete the Configuration criteria.
- Click Create Draft Funnel.
To initialize your funnel:
- Click Reports > Marketing Funnels.
- Hover over the funnel, click the drop-down arrow.
- Click Initialize.
- Click Ok.